2328 Nurse Practitioner
|Date Opened||3/8/2013 8:00:00 AM|
|Filing Deadline||3/22/2013 5:00:00 PM|
|Salary||$62.18 - $88.03/hour|
|Job Type||Continuous CBT|
CLASS 2328 NURSE PRACTITIONER
SPECIALTY: FAMILY PRACTICE
TYPE OF APPOINTMENT: Current Permanent Civil Service employees in class 2328 Nurse Practitioner are encouraged to apply.
San Francisco Department of Public Health (SFDPH) Ocean Park Health Center, located at 1351 24th Avenue, SF 94122, is accepting online applications for two (2) part time positions in class 2328 Nurse Practitioner.
Ocean Park Health Center is a community-based primary care clinic located in the Sunset District of San Francisco within blocks of Golden Gate Park. As part of the Safety Net of San Francisco, our Mission is to keep individuals and families in the community healthy through preventive and primary health care services provided by a multidisciplinary, culturally sensitive staff of trained professionals.
Our growing clinic is currently actively engaged in the process of rapid transformation using new models of primary care delivery and innovative practice redesign. We offer an excellent opportunity to practice in the heart of San Francisco and participate in quality improvement and primary care redesign.
Ocean Park Health Center is part of a larger network of 12 community-based clinics within the SFDPH known as Community Oriented Primary Care (COPC). Our COPC clinics are part of the Integrated Delivery System of SF Department of Public Health, which includes an acute care hospital, San Francisco General Hospital (SFGH), a long-term rehabilitation hospital, Laguna Honda Hospital, and the UCSF specialty and diagnostic services based at SFGH. Together, the mission-driven providers and staff within our integrated system are engaged in a process of rapid transformation in order to become efficient, sustainable, patient-centered medical homes that provide an excellent experience for both the patients we serve and for the staff of the health center. Providers in our system have the opportunity to be part of this exciting culture change.
SHIFT: Monday through Friday, 8:00AM to 5:00PM. Evenings and weekend shifts may be required. Scheduled days will vary within the listed shift.
PATIENT/CLIENT POPULATION: We serve patients of all ages from infancy to seniors including men and women; many of whom have low literacy and are monolingual Chinese-speaking.
Under general nursing and medical direction, utilizing standardized procedures, the Nurse Practitioner or Physician Assistant functions within an organized system for the delivery of health care in association with other members of the health care team and performs specialized duties in clinical settings. In collaboration with the physician, the essential job functions include the following:
- Providing primary care and urgent care to adults and families with acute and chronic medical conditions. This includes obtaining medical history, performing physical examinations, ordering and interpreting diagnostic tests, initiating and monitoring treatments, coordinating the care for patients, including referrals and diagnostic services, and counseling patients on their medical conditions as well as on preventive health maintenance practices in accordance with established protocols and procedures;
- Providing pediatric and prenatal care as privileges permit;
- Working effectively as part of a multidisciplinary care team;
- Participating in clinic staff meetings, in-service activities, and conferences;
- Maintaining electronic medical records as indicated;
- Participating in quality improvement and assurance activities;
- Utilizing disease registries as appropriate;
- Collaborating with identified project staff on special projects;
- Providing consultation as requested by colleagues, staff, students and residents;
- Performing limited administrative responsibilities as assigned by the Medical Director;
- Willing to work one evening shift per week or to work on weekends if so assigned; and
- Performing other related duties as assigned/required.
1. RN License: Possession of a valid California Registered Nurse (RN) license issued by the California Board of Registered Nursing (BRN); AND
2. NP License: Possession of a valid California Nurse Practitioner (NP) license issued by the California Board of Registered Nursing (BRN); AND
3. EDUCATION: Possession of a Master’s Degree in Nursing (MSN) from an accredited college or university; AND
4. CERTIFICATION: Possession of national board certification, or eligibility, as a Nurse Practitioner issued by one of the following recognized national certifying body or organization:
· American Academy of Nurse Practitioners (AANP)
o PO Box 12926, Austin, TX 78711
o (512) – 442-5202
· American Nurses Association – American Nurses Credentialing Center (ANCC)
o 8515 Georgia Avenue, Suite 400, Silver Spring, MD 20910-3492
· Pediatric Nursing Certification Board
o 800 S. Frederick Ave. Suite 204, Gaithersburg, MD 20877-4152
· National Certification Corporation(NCC) for the Women’s Health Care and Neonatal Nursing Specialties
o PO Box 11082, Chicago, IL 60611-0082
5. SPECIALTY AREA REQUIREMENTS: (FAMILY PRACTICE)
Specialization as Family NP.
For this position at the Ocean Park Health Center, the following is also required:
Possession of a current medication furnishing license issued by the
(visit http://www.rn.ca.gov/pdfs/applicants/npf-app.pdf for more information).
Eligible Billable Provider Condition of Employment:
All qualified candidates who are selected for appointment to positions in all specialty areas must be an eligible billable provider and will be required to meet the following criteria:
· Be eligible to participate in Medicare, Medicaid and/or other federal health care programs;
· Possess a National Provider Identifier (NPI);
· Submit a completed credentialing application and/or required documentation for credentialing; AND
· Possess a valid third-party billable provider certification (such as Medicare, Medi-Cal and/or private insurance) OR
o Have submitted a completed billable provider application, along with the required documentation, in order to obtain the appropriate billable provider status.
Failure to meet these criteria and/or ‘Conditions of Employment’ within two (2) weeks PRIOR to the start work date may result in the delay of appointment and/or cancellation of the employment offer. Once appointed, all qualified candidates/employees will be required to retain these qualifications throughout their length of employment. Failure to demonstrate (show proof) of qualifications may result in the termination of employment.
Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation (CPR) Certificate Requirement/Provision:
Possession of a valid Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation (CPR) Certificate, issued by the American Heart Association, is required as a provision for all positions. Eligibles who do not possess such a certification may participate in this examination process and be appointed to a position(s), but will be required to obtain the certificate within two (2) weeks of hire date and maintain validity throughout length of employment.
A photocopy of the valid Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation (CPR) Certificate must be provided to the appropriate supervisor of the appointment within the allotted time frame. Failure to demonstrate or show proof of possession of valid certification within two (2) weeks of hire date and throughout length of employment may result in dismissal and/or termination of employment.
· Bilingual Cantonese, Mandarin and/or Russian preferred.
· Interest in community oriented primary care.
· Sensitivity to and experience or training working with ethnically, linguistically and culturally diverse populations.
· Demonstrated ability to positively interact with all members of a multidisciplinary team.
· Willingness to work flexible hours.
The stated desirable qualifications may be considered at the end of the selection process when candidates are referred for hiring.
HOW TO APPLY:
If you are a current CCSF employee with permanent status in the 2328 classification and wish to be considered for transfer or reinstatement to a position in the same classification within the department/agency for which this announcement has been issued, you must submit an Employee Request for Transfer form
(see http://www.sfdhr.org/Modules/ShowDocument.aspx?documentid=11618) or an Employee Request for Reinstatement form
(see http://sfdhr.org/Modules/ShowDocument.aspx?documentid=11617), along with a copy of your resume, to the Exam Analyst (Lillian Louie) during the recruitment period indicated above.
City and County of San Francisco employment applications may be filed online only.
- Click on “Apply” and read and acknowledge the information
- Click on “I am a New User” or “I have previously applied.”
- Follow the instructions given on the screen.
Applicants may be contacted by email about this announcement and, therefore, it is their responsibility to ensure that their registered email address is accurate and kept up-to-date. Also, applicants must ensure that email from CCSF is not blocked on their computer by a spam filter. To prevent blocking, applicants should set up their email to accept CCSF mail from the following addresses (@sfgov.org, @sfdpw.org, @sfport.com, @flysfo.com, @sfwater.org, @sfdph.org, @asianart.org, @sfmta.com).
Applicants will receive a confirmation email that their online application has been received in response to every announcement for which they file. Applicants should retain this confirmation email for their records. Failure to receive this email means that the online application was not submitted or received.
All work experience, education, training and other information substantiating how you meet the minimum qualifications must be included on your application by the filing deadline. Information submitted after the filing deadline will not be considered in determining whether you meet the minimum qualifications.
Applications completed improperly may be cause for ineligibility, disqualification or may lead to lower scores.
If you have questions regarding these vacancies, please contact:
Trudy Singzon, Medical and Center Director
via email at Trudy.Singzon@sfdph.org or via phone at 415-682-1900
Computer kiosks are located in the lobby of the Department of Human Resources, 1 South Van Ness Avenue, 4th Floor, San Francisco, for use by the public. The hours of operation are from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Monday through Friday.
VERIFICATION OF LICENSURE AND EXPERIENCE:
Verification may be requested at any time during this recruitment and selection process. If requested, verification of experience needed to qualify must be submitted on the employer’s letterhead and indicate the name of the applicant, job title, dates of employment, hours/week, and duties performed and must be signed by the supervisor and/or appropriate company representative.
City employees do not need to submit verification of City work experience if experience gained is from the class to which appointed. Credit for experience obtained outside of the employee's class will only be allowed if recorded in accordance with the provisions of Civil Service Commission Rules. City employees relying upon qualifying work experience gained outside the City and County of San Francisco must submit written verification of such experience as described above.
Verification of experience may be waived if impossible to obtain. The applicant must submit a signed statement with the application explaining why verification cannot be obtained. Waiver requests will be considered on a case-by-case basis. Failure to submit the required verification or request for a waiver at the time of filing may result in rejection of the application.
Note: Falsifying one’s education, training, or work experience or attempted deception on the application may result in disqualification for this and future job opportunities with the City and County of San Francisco.
Qualifying: A Supplemental Questionnaire will be sent to all applicants meeting the Minimum Qualifications to determine candidates who best meet the specific needs of the department, as described in the essential job duties.
Oral Examination: Candidates will be interviewed to determine their relative knowledge, ability and skill level in one or more of the following job related areas as appropriate. These areas may include, but not be limited to: knowledge of culturally diverse populations; oral communication ability; written communication ability; ability to gather and analyze data; knowledge of health care resources; knowledge of the role and scope of practice of the nurse practitioner/physician assistant; knowledge of clinical management; and collaboration ability.
The certification rule for the eligible list resulting from this selection procedure will be Rule of Three Scores. The hiring department may conduct additional selection processes to make final hiring decisions.
ELIGIBLE LIST: http://www.sfdhr.org/index.aspx?page=20#eligiblelists
The duration of the eligible list resulting from this examination process will be six (6) months, and may be extended with the approval of the Human Resources Director.
1. Information regarding California Nurse Practitioner licensure may be obtained by contacting the California Board of Registered Nursing at www.rn.ca.gov
2. No waivers of licensure or education will be allowed.
3. Valid Registered Nurse/Nurse Practitioner licenses and CPR certification must be kept current throughout length of employment. Failure to demonstrate or show proof of this may result in dismissal and/or termination of employment.
4. The number of persons to be placed on an eligible list will be determined by the needs of the department(s); therefore applicants who receive passing scores are not guaranteed placement on the eligible list.
5. Departments may utilize additional selection procedures to make final hiring decisions.
6. Copies of Application Documents: http://www.sfdhr.org/index.aspx?page=20#copies
Applicants are encouraged to keep copies of all documents submitted. Submitted documents become a permanent part of the exam records and will not be returned. The hiring department may require applicants to submit the same documents and/or additional documents at a later date.
7. Make sure your application and any attachments to the application submitted at the time of filing are complete and accurate and include details on all experience, education, training and other information that qualifies you for this recruitment. Failure to submit a complete and accurate application at the time of filing may result in your ineligibility for this recruitment or inability to receive full credit for scoring purposes. Any new information concerning work experience, education, training and other information that is submitted after the filing deadline may not be used for scoring or considered to determine whether you meet the minimum qualifications.
8. Terms of Announcement:
Applicants must be guided solely by the provisions of the announcement including, requirements, time periods and other particulars, except when superseded by federal, state or local laws, rules or regulations. Clerical errors may be corrected by posting the correction on the Department of Human Resources website at: www.jobaps.com/sf.
9. Reasonable Accommodation Request:
Information on requesting reasonable accommodation for persons with disabilities can be found at: http://www.sfdhr.org/index.aspx?page=20#reasonableaccommodation
10. Veteran Preference:
Information regarding requests for veterans preference can be found at:
11. General Information concerning City and County of San Francisco Employment Policies and Procedures:
Important Employment Information for the City and County of San Francisco can be obtained at http://www.sfdhr.org/Modules/ShowDocument.aspx?documentid=1709 or via paper copy at 1 South Van Ness Avenue, 4th Floor, San Francisco.
12. Right to Work:
All persons entering the City and County of San Francisco workforce are required to provide verification of authorization to work in the United States.
13. Medical Examination:
Prior to appointment, at the Department’s expense, applicants may be required to take a TB screening test, and a medical examination.
COMBINED ENTRANCE AND PROMOTIVE
Issued: March 8, 2013
LIST ID NO.: CCT-2328-PH10665
DPH/LL: 415-206-5417 (DHR Pos No. 01120039/01123669)
Disaster Service Workers
All employees hired on or after January 10, 2009 will be required (pursuant to San Francisco Charter Section A8.432) to contribute 2% of pre-tax compensation to fund retiree healthcare. In addition, most employees are required to make a member contribution towards retirement, typically 7.5% of compensation. For more information on these provisions, please contact the personnel office of the hiring agency.