RECORDS DATA SPECIALIST TRAINEE
Concurrent Open & Closed recruitments require 2 separate apps
|Date Opened||2/8/2013 12:01:00 PM|
|Filing Deadline||2/22/2013 11:59:00 AM|
|Salary||$27,414.00 - $41,454.00/year|
|Job Type||Open Recruitment|
Hillsborough County Government is looking for new members to join our team who are aligned with our core values of commitment to excellence; stellar customer service; and embracing diversity, transparency, and accountability. Our employees enjoy careers that are professionally and personally rewarding and that provide fair and reliable compensation.
Hillsborough County Government consists of many independent agencies with over 9,000 combined employees. We provide a wide range of municipal services to the citizens of
Learn more about Hillsborough County or read on to learn more about this exciting opportunity to join our team.
Performs trainee duties responding to requests and providing criminal history information to federal, state and local law enforcement agencies and departments.
Note: Incumbents function in a trainee capacity to gain proficiency in the duties listed below and become eligible for promotion to Records Data Specialist.
- Responds to telephone, electronic or teletype criminal history information requests from federal, state and local law enforcement agencies and departments related to warrants, vehicle registrations, missing persons, stolen vehicles/property, guns, license plates, boats aircraft, immigration status, injunctions, protection orders and unidentified persons.
- Enters, modifies, supplements and cancels criminal history information in the Florida Crime Information Computer (FCIC)/National Crime Information Computer (NCIC) databases and notifies law enforcement agencies or departments of actions taken as appropriate.
- Reviews all entries made by Law Enforcement Deputies through mobile reporting for special data processing entry within the Sheriff's Office internal Records Management System.
- Monitors Records Management System logs to ensure all entries are accurate and complete.
- Continually monitors pending information required from Law Enforcement Deputies for actions performed during their shift so that all actions are in compliance with rules and regulations.
- Performs duties at temporary emergency command centers during periods of emergency as required.
- Performs other related duties as required.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, & ABILITIES
Note: To be acquired during the training period.
Working knowledge of effective communication techniques.
- Working knowledge of English grammar, punctuation and spelling.
- Some knowledge of practices used to receive and assess calls for assistance.
- Some knowledge of federal, state and county laws, ordinances and regulations governing the dissemination of criminal information.
- Some knowledge of records management system standard operating procedures.
- Some knowledge of general office policies, procedures and practices.
- Some knowledge of Agency policies, procedures and guidelines.
- Some knowledge of audio communications equipment operation.
- Some knowledge of law enforcement terminology.
- Ability to follow established procedures.
- Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing.
- Ability to handle confidential information.
- Ability to collect, organize, and evaluate data and to develop logical conclusions.
- Ability to accurately assess emergency information and make correct decisions.
- Ability to accurately sort, retrieve and file material using alphabetic, numeric and chronologic systems.
- Ability to work under stressful conditions.
- Ability to maintain work related records and prepare reports.
- Ability and willingness to work rotating shifts to include nights, weekends and holidays.
- Ability to use a computer and related software.
Note: Minimum Qualifications MUST be attained before the recruitment ending date.
Graduation from high school or possession of a GED certificate, and;
Six months customer service experience; and
A passing score on a written test; and
A passing score on a data entry test at 100 keystrokes per minute with 90% accuracy.
APPOINTING AUTHORITY REQUIRES
No illegal drug use within the past 36 months. - No illegal drug sale. - No illegal drug use after 30 years of age. - No felony convictions. - No misdemeanor convictions involving perjury, false statement or domestic violence. - Meeting all medical, physical and psychological requirements. - Completion of a background investigation and FCIC/NCIC Certifications during the initial probationary period.
APPOINTING AUTHORITY MAY REQUIRE
Possession of a valid Driver License.
Employees in this class are required to complete a six month training program as defined by the agency to which the position is assigned. Upon certification by the Agency Head or designated representative of successful completion of training, incumbents will be promoted to Records Data Specialist. The training period may be extended by the Agency to which the position is assigned.
OPEN AND CLOSED RECRUITMENTS: We are running concurrent Closed (Internal) and Open recruitments. Internal candidates on a closed eligibility list must be considered first, prior to a selection being made from the open eligibility list. To be considered for the same classification under Open recruitment, internal candidates must also apply under the open recruitment process.
VETERANS' PREFERENCE: Preference will ONLY be entitled upon initial appointment for eligible veterans and eligible spouses of veterans. Documentation to support entitlement to preference MUST be provided at the time of application.
DRUG-FREE WORK PLACE: The employers of
NOTE: Depending on the agency of employment, individuals hired may be required to review
NOTE: Employees are required to participate in the response/recovery activities related to emergencies/disasters affecting the County. They are required to work in their normal job duties or other activities within their skills and capabilities. Proper compensation will be made in accordance with existing rules and procedures.
EXAMINATION: Examination may be administered at the time of application, depending on qualifications. Test information is available at the Reception Branch, Hillsborough County Civil Service Office. This information must be obtained in person and it is the applicant's responsibility to obtain it, if desired.