ADVANCED TRANSPORTATION WORKER
Concurrent Open & Closed recruitments require 2 separate apps
|Date Opened||12/7/2012 12:01:00 PM|
|Filing Deadline||12/21/2012 11:59:00 AM|
|Salary||$24,876.00 - $39,499.00/year|
|Job Type||Open Recruitment|
Hillsborough County Government is looking for new members to join our team who are aligned with our core values of commitment to excellence; stellar customer service; and embracing diversity, transparency, and accountability. Our employees enjoy careers that are professionally and personally rewarding and that provide fair and reliable compensation.
Hillsborough County Government consists of many independent agencies with over 9,000 combined employees. We provide a wide range of municipal services to the citizens of
Learn more about Hillsborough County or read on to learn more about this exciting opportunity to join our team.
Performs semi-skilled to skilled manual work of an advanced nature to construct, maintain, and repair roads, road shoulders, county owned rights-of-way, easements, bridges, stormwater drainage systems and other related county assets using various types of power and hand tools, light to medium construction equipment, and light to heavy vehicles, to provide a safe environment for vehicle and pedestrian traffic.
- Assists with the construction, maintenance, and repair of roads, road shoulders, county owned rights-of-way, easements, bridges, stormwater drainage systems and other related county assets in accordance with Florida Department of Transportation standards, American Public Works Association best management practices, county guidelines and other state and federal regulations and guidelines.
- Mows grassy areas along roadways, easements, rights-of-way and in medians, to include removing debris, in accordance with standard operating procedures to maintain a safe and efficient environment for vehicle and pedestrian traffic.
- Cuts brush, weeds, and assists in trimming low hanging tree limbs or removing trees along roadways and in county owned rights-of-way to include root pruning, stump removal, and brush chipping to maintain safe clearance standards, provide safe recovery zones and remove line-of-sight obstructions.
- Performs semi-skilled to skilled work assignments, under the direction of a lead worker, associated with: patching road surfaces; stabilizing road shoulders; resurfacing of roads; repairing or installing fences and guardrails; repairing and maintaining bridges; cleaning and reshaping drainage ditches; installing or replacing drain pipes; constructing segments of roads; repairing and maintaining stormwater drainage systems, including pipe, slip-liner installation and end wall, inlet and manhole repair; and maintaining other related transportation assets to maintain them in a good and safe operational condition.
- Operates light to medium automotive vehicles and construction equipment such as specialized road patching / paving equipment, bulldozers, graders, backhoes, loaders, street sweepers, tractor with lowboy trailer, rollers, skid loaders, dump trucks up to eighteen yard capacity, flatbed trucks, slope mowers, walk behind compactor or road-rollers, and farm type tractors with attached mowing decks.
- Operates mowing equipment and mowing decks, vans, specially designed vehicle servicing trucks, power lift equipment and pickup trucks to construct, maintain and repair roads, bridges, and other related county assets.
- Operates small motorized equipment such as stump grinders, concrete grinders, lawn mowers, chain saws, edgers, trimmers, weed eaters, air compressors, jack hammers, mixers, pumping equipment and other similar equipment; and uses various hand tools to construct, maintain, and repair roads, bridges, and other related county assets.
- Performs semi-skilled masonry, block and concrete work on bridges, roads, sidewalks, curbs, gutters, and other related assets to construct or restore them to specified service levels.
- Cleans and performs operator inspection, servicing, preventive maintenance and simple repairs to equipment used and ensures that periodic maintenance and major repairs are identified and scheduled to ensure proper operation and prolong service life.
- Performs daily safety inspections and observes proper safety practices and regulations when operating or working around equipment.
- Sets up traffic control in accordance with Maintenance of Traffic (MOT) guidelines and establishes and maintains work zone safety to maintain a safe work environment.
- Sets flags, barricades and other traffic control devices and controls the flow of traffic through and around work sites to provide a safe environment for workers and the public.
- Trains and provides guidance to employees in lower level jobs.
- Assumes lead worker responsibilities, when so designated, in the absence of the lead worker.
- May be required to provide operational support during periods of local, state and national emergencies due to man-made and natural disasters.
- Performs other related duties as required.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, & ABILITIES
- Knowledge, skills and abilities of the Transportation Worker, plus:
- Working knowledge of the operation, use, and safety practices of automotive vehicles and construction equipment to include specialized road patching / paving equipment, bulldozers, graders, backhoes, loaders, street sweepers, tractor with lowboy trailer, rollers, skid loaders, dump trucks, flat bed trucks, vans, pickup trucks, farm type tractors used in large scale mowing operations, slope mowers, edgers, lawn mowers, cement mixers, compressors, concrete grinders and other similar equipment.
- Working knowledge of traffic laws, regulations, and safety practices applicable to the operation of motorized vehicles on public streets and highways.
- Working knowledge of procedures and techniques used to perform semi-skilled construction, maintenance and repair work of roads, bridges, stormwater drainage systems, and other related assets.
- Working knowledge of Manual of Uniform Traffic Control Devices, Chapter 6; for safe work zones.
- Skill in the use of various tools and equipment used to construct, maintain, and repair roads, bridges, stormwater drainage systems, and other related assets.
- Ability to service and make minor repairs and adjustments to vehicles and equipment operated.
- Ability to closely follow oral and written instructions.
- Ability to work effectively with others.
- Ability to read and understand job related material.
- Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing.
- Ability to safely operate motorized vehicles and construction equipment.
- Ability to train others.
- Ability to bend, climb, stoop, kneel or crouch at ground levels and to stand for long periods of time.
- Ability and willingness to work outside in a subtropical climate under adverse weather and working conditions (i.e.: sun, rain, cold, swamp, ditches, dirt and hot asphalt) and high noise levels.
- Ability to lift and carry a minimum of five (5) pounds and greater with an average of forty five (45) pounds with occasional lifting up to approximately ninety (90) pounds over uneven, rough terrain.
- Ability to perform tasks that require eye and hand coordination.
Note: Minimum Qualifications MUST be attained before the recruitment ending date.
Graduation from high school or possession of a GED Certificate; and
Two years of experience performing construction or maintenance duties in one of the following areas: roads, rights-of-way, bridges or stormwater drainage systems; and
Possession of a valid Florida Drivers License.
Completion of the ninth grade; and
Three years of experience performing construction or maintenance duties in one of the following areas: roads, rights-of-way, bridges or stormwater drainage systems; and
Possession of a valid Florida Drivers License.
APPOINTING AUTHORITY REQUIRES
Possession of a valid Class B, Commercial Driver License (CDL) within six (6) months of entry into the classification.
APPOINTING AUTHORITY MAY REQUIRE
Specific endorsements to the Commercial Driver License (CDL);
Flagging and Traffic Control Certificate;
Possession of Work Zone Maintenance of Traffic Intermediate Certificate;
First Aid and Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation (CPR) Certification;
Pesticide Applicator Certification with specific endorsements.
These and other job related certifications may be required throughout employment in this position.
OPEN AND CLOSED RECRUITMENTS: We are running concurrent Closed (Internal) and Open recruitments. Internal candidates on a closed eligibility list must be considered first, prior to a selection being made from the open eligibility list. To be considered for the same classification under Open recruitment, internal candidates must also apply under the open recruitment process.
VETERANS' PREFERENCE: Preference will ONLY be entitled upon initial appointment for eligible veterans and eligible spouses of veterans. Documentation to support entitlement to preference MUST be provided at the time of application.
DRUG-FREE WORK PLACE: The employers of
NOTE: Depending on the agency of employment, individuals hired may be required to review
NOTE: Employees are required to participate in the response/recovery activities related to emergencies/disasters affecting the County. They are required to work in their normal job duties or other activities within their skills and capabilities. Proper compensation will be made in accordance with existing rules and procedures.
EXAMINATION: Applicants will be competitively rated on the basis of their training and experience.