TRAFFIC SIGN/MARKING TECHNICIAN I
Concurrent Open & Closed recruitments require 2 separate apps
|Date Opened||4/5/2013 12:01:00 PM|
|Filing Deadline||4/19/2013 11:59:00 AM|
|Salary||$23,441.00 - $37,211.00/year|
|Job Type||Open Recruitment|
Hillsborough County Government is looking for new members to join our team who are aligned with our core values of commitment to excellence; stellar customer service; and embracing diversity, transparency, and accountability. Our employees enjoy careers that are professionally and personally rewarding and that provide fair and reliable compensation.
Hillsborough County Government consists of many independent agencies with over 9,000 combined employees. We provide a wide range of municipal services to the citizens of
Learn more about Hillsborough County or read on to learn more about this exciting opportunity to join our team.
- Operates pavement marking equipment such as small, medium and long line paint stripers, premelters, bituminous machine, pavement markings grinder, thermoplastic machines and generators to apply traffic control markings on roadways in accordance with work orders, blueprints, the MUTCD and Florida Department of Transportation (FDOT) manuals.
- Loads, maintains and repairs road marking equipment such as small, medium and long line paint stripers, premelters, bituminous machines, pavement markings grinder, thermoplastic machines and generators to ensure proper operation of equipment.
- Operates equipment such as squeeze and roller sheet applicators, electric/hydraulic die cutters, computerized graphic printer/plotter, and hot ovens to fabricate traffic control signs and street markers.
- Uses the interstate machining and pressure sensitive application with the MUTCD and FDOT standards by selecting sign blanks, using a computerized graphic printer/plotter to produce sign details, using a ruler/tape measure to layout sign details on sign blanks, and applying sign detail to blank.
- Interprets work orders and associated blueprints, draws sketches and calculates measurements to determine materials needed.
- Selects traffic control signs, determines appropriate sign locations and installs signs on roadway easements.
- Sets up barricades for road closures in accordance with FDOT standards.
- Listens to and forwards citizens complaints, compiles reports, and attends meetings to receive and disseminate information.
- Drives pickup truck to and from work sites, loads and unloads supplies and equipment, and performs minor safety and operational checks.
- Performs other related duties as required.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, & ABILITIES
- Working knowledge of the MUTCD and FDOT Traffic Standards applicable to the application of roadway markings, sign fabrication, sign installation, or road closures.
- Working knowledge of the operation and maintenance of roadway marking, sign fabrication, or sign installation equipment.
- Working knowledge of the preparation and application of materials used to mark roadways and fabricate signs.
- Some knowledge of high school level mathematics.
- Some knowledge of basic drafting symbols and terminology.
- Skill in operating and performing minor repairs on small, medium and long line paint stripers, premelters, bituminous machine, pavement markings grinder, thermoplastic machines and generators.
- Skill in using sign fabrication tools and equipment such as squeeze roller sheet applicators, electric/hydraulic die cutter, interstate applicator, hot oven and computerized graphic printer/plotter.
- Skill in using sign installation tools and equipment such as wrenches, post hole diggers, core drilling machine, and sign post extractors, electric saws and jackhammers.
- Skill in identifying discrepancies between blueprint or work order dimensions and actual road dimensions.
- Ability to apply paint and markings correctly.
- Ability to lift up to 75 pounds.
- Ability to read and understand aspects of blueprints, survey maps and work orders that describe tasks to be performed.
- Ability to apply pavement markings or to fabricate and install signs.
- Ability to follow oral and written instructions.
- Ability to follow established procedures.
- Ability to work effectively with others.
- Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing.
- Ability to use computer terminals to accurately make sign details.
Note: Minimum Qualifications MUST be attained before the recruitment ending date.
Graduation from high school or possession of a GED Certificate; and
Possession of a valid Driver License.
OPEN AND CLOSED RECRUITMENTS: We are running concurrent Closed (Internal) and Open recruitments. Internal candidates on a closed eligibility list must be considered first, prior to a selection being made from the open eligibility list. To be considered for the same classification under Open recruitment, internal candidates must also apply under the open recruitment process.
VETERANS' PREFERENCE: Preference will ONLY be entitled upon initial appointment for eligible veterans and eligible spouses of veterans. Documentation to support entitlement to preference MUST be provided at the time of application.
DRUG-FREE WORK PLACE: The employers of
NOTE: Depending on the agency of employment, individuals hired may be required to review
NOTE: Employees are required to participate in the response/recovery activities related to emergencies/disasters affecting the County. They are required to work in their normal job duties or other activities within their skills and capabilities. Proper compensation will be made in accordance with existing rules and procedures.
EXAMINATION: Applicants will be competitively rated on the basis of their training and experience.