ENGINEERING TECHNICIAN II (TRAFFIC)
Concurrent Open & Closed recruitments require 2 separate apps
|Date Opened||1/4/2013 12:01:00 PM|
|Filing Deadline||1/18/2013 11:59:00 AM|
|Salary||$26,457.00 - $41,995.00/year|
|Job Type||Open Recruitment|
Hillsborough County Government is looking for new members to join our team who are aligned with our core values of commitment to excellence; stellar customer service; and embracing diversity, transparency, and accountability. Our employees enjoy careers that are professionally and personally rewarding and that provide fair and reliable compensation.
Hillsborough County Government consists of many independent agencies with over 9,000 combined employees. We provide a wide range of municipal services to the citizens of
Learn more about Hillsborough County or read on to learn more about this exciting opportunity to join our team.
- Performs construction inspections of limited scope and monitors the sampling and testing of construction materials.
- Sketches, draws, maintains and edits maps that list property owners, buildings, roads, right-of-ways, rivers, lakes, swamps, lowlands, plotted lands, streets, water and sewer drainage lines, demographic charts, and graphic exhibits; surveys, plans and profiles drawings of roads and storm sewers, roadway cross sections for drainage and excavation purposes, and preconstruction and as-built drawings.
- Performs manual or computer assisted drafting of engineering plans and maps to include marking layers and identifying property lines; mapping traffic and hydrographic data using field notes, aerial photos, survey data and deeds.
- Gathers, records and processes documents as well as field data obtained through a variety of surveys to establish stakes, elevations, grades, and soundings.
- Researches, reviews and evaluates data obtained from documents, field surveys, road maintenance programs or tests; inputs data into computer to update and maintain road and pavement maintenance inventories.
- Organizes and checks survey tools, equipment, instruments and vehicles to ensure their availability and working condition.
- Conducts traffic studies in response to public requests and complaints; documents findings, and recommends installation of traffic control devices or signs.
- Reviews citizen complaints, recommends or takes corrective action, or refers to appropriate office for resolution.
- Investigates and prepares traffic related work orders for implementation by in-house resources.
- Prepares traffic signing and marking plans per County and FDOT standards and specifications.
- Reviews development plans to verify signing and markings and related traffic control device standards are met.
- Performs other related duties as required.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, & ABILITIES
- Working knowledge of drafting and mapping techniques.
- Working knowledge of surveying methods and devices.
- Working knowledge of public works construction practices, methods, specifications, materials and equipment.
- Working knowledge of public records law.
- Working knowledge of cartographic standards.
- Working knowledge of high school level mathematics.
- Working knowledge of the use and calibration of engineering instruments.
- Skill in the use of manual and computer aided drafting, mapping and blueprinting equipment.
- Skill in the use of land surveying instruments and devices.
- Ability to read and understand aerial photos, blueprints, field survey notes, deeds, plats, parcel data, engineering plans and sketches.
- Ability to record field notes, sketches, readings, and observations.
- Ability to work effectively with others.
- Ability to maintain records and prepare reports.
- Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing.
- Ability to follow written and oral instructions.
Note: Minimum Qualifications MUST be attained before the recruitment ending date.
Graduation from high school or possession of a GED Certificate; and
Two years of experience in engineering support or drafting duties, one year of which must have been in traffic engineering or operations.
An Associate's or higher degree in an Engineering related field, or successful completion of a vocational or technical program in an engineering related field.
APPOINTING AUTHORITY MAY REQUIRE
OPEN AND CLOSED RECRUITMENTS: We are running concurrent Closed (Internal) and Open recruitments. Internal candidates on a closed eligibility list must be considered first, prior to a selection being made from the open eligibility list. To be considered for the same classification under Open recruitment, internal candidates must also apply under the open recruitment process.
VETERANS' PREFERENCE: Preference will ONLY be entitled upon initial appointment for eligible veterans and eligible spouses of veterans. Documentation to support entitlement to preference MUST be provided at the time of application.
DRUG-FREE WORK PLACE: The employers of
NOTE: Depending on the agency of employment, individuals hired may be required to review
NOTE: Employees are required to participate in the response/recovery activities related to emergencies/disasters affecting the County. They are required to work in their normal job duties or other activities within their skills and capabilities. Proper compensation will be made in accordance with existing rules and procedures.
EXAMINATION: Applicants will be competitively rated on the basis of their training and experience.