Apply immediately; this recruitment may close at any time.
The Fresno County Sheriff's Office is offering challenging career opportunities to experienced Communications Dispatchers for the position of Communications Dispatcher II. Successful candidates will receive and respond to emergency calls by telephone or radio; key pertinent data into a computer; operate a multi-channel computer-assisted radio system to dispatch public safety personnel; and perform related duties as required.
The ideal candidates must possess:
- knowledge of state vehicle and penal codes;
- knowledge of Fresno County geography, jurisdictional boundaries, Thomas Brothers wall and beat maps;
- knowledge of CAD, 911, CLETS, NCIC, and ANI-ALI systems;
- the ability to function under stressful conditions and circumstances;
- the ability to relay information effectively and calmly to caller and others;
- effective oral and written communication skills;
- the ability to read and interpret written materials and maps;
- the ability to memorize and retain information, and spell accurately;
- the ability to type from auditory source, and control telephone conversation to elicit information;
- eye, hand, mouth, and foot coordination;
- the ability to work in an enclosed and windowless environment;
- a high degree of maturity, integrity, and good judgment.
NOTE: As a condition of employment candidates must undergo and pass a thorough and detailed personal background investigation, medical, and polygraph examination. These investigations include employment and credit histories, arrest/criminal records, drug/alcohol use, and personal conduct. This list is neither inclusive nor exclusive; other relevant areas may be investigated and verified. Background materials for failed candidates are retained for three years.
NOTE: Applicants must be willing to work shifts as assigned, including nights, weekends, and holidays.
Experience: One (1) year of full-time, paid experience equivalent to that gained as a Communications Dispatcher with the County of Fresno.
Other: Ability to type forty-five (45) words per minute is required. A typing certificate validated within the last 12 months must be submitted with your application. Online certificates are not acceptable. Applications missing a valid typing certificate will be rejected. You may fax a copy to (559) 455-4788, attn: Mitchell Norvise.
In order to qualify, candidates must also be able to demonstrate one (1) of the following:
- Completion and passing of the POST Entry-Level Dispatcher Selection Test Battery.
- Proof of possession of a valid California POST Public Safety Dispatcher Basic Certificate.
- Proof of successful completion of the POST-certified Public Safety Dispatcher Basic Course (80 hours minimum) and completion of probation as a public safety dispatcher during previous employment.
You may fax copies of proof to (559) 455-4788, attn: Mitchell Norvise.
Candidates who are not able to demonstrate one (1) of the above will be scheduled to take the POST Entry-Level Dispatcher Selection Test Battery.
Note: Applicants must meet the minimum qualifications for this position by the filing deadline.
SAMPLES OF DUTIES:
· Dispatches public safety personnel using the Computer-Assisted Dispatch and radio systems.
· Answers incoming calls; elicits pertinent information; determines nature of the call; keys information into the CAD system; or refers call or caller according to policy and procedure.
· Prioritizes calls in order to determine dispatch order and law enforcement personnel required in accordance with policy and procedure.
· Monitors all radio transmissions from law enforcement field units in order to insure officer safety, anticipate officer needs for assistance, respond rapidly to emergency radio traffic, and to determine changes in field conditions using the CAD and radio systems.
· Performs a variety of checks on people, weapons, and vehicles in order to provide information to officers using the CAD, Clets, NCIC, and ANI-ALI systems, and local and State laws.
· Notifies and relays information to appropriate agencies regarding public hazards.
ATTRACTIVE BENEFITS PACKAGE:
- Health insurance (Medical, Dental, and Vision)
- Competitive retirement plan
- Eleven (11) paid holidays
- Disability and Life insurance
- Annual Leave plan
- Employee Assistance Program
Optional benefits include:
- Deferred Compensation Plan (County sponsored tax shelter savings plan)
- Flexible Spending Plans-tax shelter (set aside pre-tax $ to pay for eligible medical, dependent care, and qualified parking and mass transit expenses)
- Fresno County Federal Credit Union - All County employees can take advantage of low interest rates, no annual fees for checking accounts, direct deposit, online banking and many other services.
Applicants meeting the Minimum Qualifications and filing requirements, may be scheduled for the following examination process:
- Written examination (weighted 100%)
Successful candidates will be placed on an employment list effective for a minimum of 3 months (may be extended up to an additional 12 months) and will be certified in final rank order as vacancies occur.
NOTE: The written examination is developed by the California Commission on Peace Officer Standards and Training (POST). POST has an exam guide available to applicants interested in an overview of the exam. You may download a copy of the exam guide by clicking on the link below:
REQUIRED APPLICATION MATERIALS:
- Fresno County Application
- Supplemental Questionnaire
- Copy of a typing certificate validated within the last 12 months. Online certificates are not acceptable. You may fax a copy to (559) 455-4788, attn: Mitchell Norvise.
Apply immediately; this recruitment may close at any time.
HOW TO APPLY:
Open Job Information Flyer and follow the "to apply online" instructions.
By mail or in office: Fresno County Personnel Services
Fresno County Plaza
2220 Tulare St. 14th Floor
Fresno, CA 93721
Office hours: Monday – Friday 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM, excluding holidays.
Please be advised that it is the applicant’s responsibility to notify Fresno County Personnel Services of any mailing address and telephone number changes. Notices sent via U.S. Mail from Personnel Services are not forwarded (“Return Service” is requested, therefore mail will not be sent to a forwarding address).
Once the filing deadline has passed, you may check the status of this recruitment at any time by logging on to www.jobaps.com/fresno or www.co.fresno.ca.us (employment opportunities) and clicking on the "Closed Jobs Status Board" link.
Should you feel you need special accommodations for this examination due to a qualifying disability, please contact Personnel Services at (559) 600-1830 at least 5 days prior to your examination.
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY / AFFIRMATIVE ACTION /