The listed job functions are illustrative of the classification level and not intended to list all duties typically assigned to this classification. Employees may do all or some of the listed duties, or other related duties.†
Essential Job Functions:
1. Supervises section heads; leads, instructs, assigns and reviews work; maintains standards; acts on employee problems; selects new employees; appraises performance; recommends promotions, termination and salary increases.
2. Plans, organizes, coordinates and administers a consolidated program for the City's water system in conformance with federal, state and local regulations and requirements.
3. Prepares the divisionís annual budget, including the maintenance management plan, and presents the budget to the Operations Manager and Director for review. Manages the approved budget by monitoring expenditures, ensures maintenance goals are met; makes midyear adjustments as needed.
4. Works with the subordinate supervisors to develop goals for the division and develops work plans for scheduling maintenance activities.
5. Addresses division employee issues such as commendations, grievances, discipline and training. Conducts investigations to determine facts; takes appropriate follow-up actions.
6. Participates in the planning and development of special studies and design improvements for the water treatment plant, water system and other related infrastructure and makes recommendations to city staff and consultants to meet or exceed applicable rules and regulations.
7. Works with subordinate supervisors in developing capital improvement plans for the water system.
8. Represents the Public Works and Water Division on committees, at public meetings, and one-on-one with staff, citizens, regulators, media, contractors, etc.
9. Collaborates with Public Works Engineering and Planning staff to develop short, mid, and long term strategic planning for water treatment, storage, and distribution improvements.
Important Job Functions:
1. Receives and reviews records, reports, plans, documents, charts, graphs, and payments such as operating statements, laboratory reports, technical studies, technical design documents, special reports, flow charts, diagrams, job applications, time sheets.
2. Prepares technical letters, reports, policies and procedures, purchase orders and memos to customers, regulators, elected officials, managers, peers and subordinates.
3. Interacts and communicates with individuals and groups such as the Operations Manager, Director, engineering staff, inspectors, union representative, state and federal officials, other municipalities, consultants, vendor's manufacturers, job applicants, departmental staff and other City staff.
4. Attends meetings and various training seminars and conferences as needed.
5. Performs other duties as required by the Operations Manager.
Education and Experience:
Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university in engineering or scientific discipline, public administration, or a related field, and seven to ten (7-10) years of experience in a related field; or any combination of education, experience, and training which provides the required knowledge, skills, and abilities to perform the essential functions of the class.
License(s) and Certification(s) State of Oregon:
- Water Treatment Operator III
- Distribution System Operator IV
Or, the ability to receive reciprocity for licenses held in a different state.
TO APPLY:† Please complete the on-line Application and submit electronically by the close date at www.cityofsalem.net/Jobs. Applications must be received†at the Human Resources Department by 11:59 p.m. on the closing date. You will receive an email confirmation of your submitted electronic application. The City cannot be responsible for material that is illegible or missing as a result of transmitting or which may be lost through the mail.
All newly selected finalists for City employment are subject to a criminal background check and may be subject to testing for drugs.
Equal Opportunity Employer - EEO Plan
Women, Minorities, Veterans,†and Disabled individuals are encouraged to apply. ADA accommodations will be provided upon request.† TTD/TTY 503-588-6009
This announcement is not an implied contract and may be modified or revoked without notice.