5640 Environmental Specialist
|Date Opened||11/19/2013 4:35:00 PM|
|Filing Deadline||12/3/2013 5:00:00 PM|
|Salary||$33.00 - $40.10/hour|
|Job Type||Temporary Exempt|
5640 Environmental Specialist - Energy Efficiency Specialty
The mission of the City and County of San Francisco Department of the Environment (SF Environment) is to improve, enhance, and preserve the environment, and to promote San Francisco’s long-term environmental well-being. SF Environment includes Zero Waste, Toxics Reduction and Integrated Pest Management, Environmental Justice, Clean Air Transportation, Climate Change, Energy, Green Building and Public Information Programs.
SF Environment currently has four (4) full-time temporary 5640 Environmental Specialist positions available.
Appointment Type: These are temporary positions and are exempt. Exempt employees are excluded by the San Francisco Charter from the competitive civil service examination process. Persons appointed to these positions shall serve at the discretion of the appointing officer.
Length of Appointment: Persons appointed to Temporary Exempt positions are not to exceed six (6) months or 1,040 hours of work in a Fiscal Year.
Position Description: Under supervision, the 5640 Environmental Specialist will work to enroll small businesses and residential buildings in energy efficiency programs, track and report on progress of projects, and assist in special projects. Work will focus on the SF Energy Watch Program. Duties may include but are not limited to the following:
• Work with staff to target potential businesses and residential buildings for program participation, using city and other sources of data.
• Call on customers, schedule appointments or work with contractor to schedule site visits, conduct or arrange for energy audits, educate customers about energy efficiency, and coordinate follow-up tasks.
• Assist customers in obtaining services they need to initiate and complete energy efficiency projects. This may include explaining the benefits of the project and available services, recommending equipment replacement and energy retrofits, providing an energy savings assessment, cost estimate and return on investment, listening to customer needs, suggesting solutions to their problems.
• Work with other program staff to compile contractor/vendor lists.
• Work with other program staff to enlist other City agencies to assist in program by providing lists, databases, mailing insert opportunities, etc.
• Analyze and track customer and project data using computer skills in database and software programs including Excel, Access, Word and Sugar CRM.
• Maintain database of activities, customer contacts, and program results.
• Prepare, compile and distribute reports.
• Other duties as assigned.
2. Two (2) years of experience performing duties similar to those described in this class, within the area of specialty.; AND
3. Possession of a valid driver's license.
• Fluency in Chinese (Cantonese or Mandarin), Spanish or other language commonly spoken in San Francisco.
• Familiarity with San Francisco, and with its business sectors and building types
• Communication, presentation and sales skills
• Electrical or mechanical engineering degree
• Knowledge of energy efficiency and environmental principles;
• Excellent project management, researching, and organizational skills;
• Word processing, spreadsheet, database, Internet proficiency, and ability to conduct statistical analyses.
• Strong skills in Excel and database management,
• Responsible, motivated, and able to work independently and in a team;
• Availability to work occasional evenings
• Understanding of barriers to deployment of energy efficiency
How To Apply
Applications for City and County of San Francisco jobs are being accepted through an online process. Visit www.jobaps.com/sf to register an account (if you have not already done so) and begin the application process.
- Select the desired job announcement
- Select “Apply” and read and acknowledge the information
- Select either “I am a New User” if you have not previously registered, or “I have Registered Previously”
- Follow instructions on the screen
Computers are available for the public (from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Monday through Friday) to file online applications in the lobby of the Dept. of Human Resources at 1 South Van Ness Avenue, 4th Floor, San Francisco.
Applicants may be contacted by email about this announcement and, therefore, it is their responsibility to ensure that their registered email address is accurate and kept up-to-date. Also, applicants must ensure that email from CCSF is not blocked on their computer by a spam filter. To prevent blocking, applicants should set up their email to accept CCSF mail from the following addresses (@sfgov.org, @sfdpw.org, @sfport.com, @flysfo.com, @sfwater.org, @sfdph.org, @asianart.org, @sfmta.com, @sfpl.org, @dcyf.org, @first5sf.org).
Applicants will receive a confirmation email that their online application has been received in response to every announcement for which they file. Applicants should retain this confirmation email for their records. Failure to receive this email means that the online application was not submitted or received.
All work experience, education, training and other information substantiating how you meet the minimum qualifications must be included on your application by the filing deadline. Information submitted after the filing deadline will not be considered in determining whether you meet the minimum qualifications.
Applications completed improperly may be cause for ineligibility, disqualification or may lead to lower scores.
If you have any questions regarding this recruitment or application process, please contact the exam analyst, Melanie Morales by email at Melanie.Morales@sfgov.org.
Applications will be reviewed for qualifying experience and education. Only those applicants deemed best qualified will be invited to participate in the selection process. Meeting the minimum qualifications does not guarantee an interview. Additional screening mechanisms may be implemented in the selection process.
Applicants may be required to submit verification of qualifying education and experience at any point in the application, examination and/or departmental selection process. Note: Falsifying one’s education, training, or work experience or attempted deception on the application may result in disqualification for this and future job opportunities with the City and County of San Francisco.
Candidates applying for positions with the Unified School District and the Community College District may be disqualified from consideration should their conviction history not meet the standards established under the California Education Code.
Candidates applying for positions with the Recreation and Park Department may be disqualified from consideration should their conviction history not meet the standards established under California Public Resources Code 5164.
Disaster Service Workers
General Information concerning City and County of San Francisco Employment Policies and Procedures:
Important Employment Information for the City and County of San Francisco can be obtained at http://www.sfdhr.org/index.aspx?page=20 or hard copy at 1 South Van Ness Avenue, 4th Floor.
Copies of Application Documents:
Applicants should keep copies of all documents submitted, as these will not be returned.
Right to Work:
All persons entering the City and County of San Francisco workforce are required to provide verification of authorization to work in the United States.
Issued: November 19, 2013
Micki Callahan, Human Resources Director
Department of Human Resources
Recruitment ID Number: 062553
DHR for ENV/MM/557-4881
All employees hired on or after January 10, 2009 will be required (pursuant to San Francisco Charter Section A8.432) to contribute 2% of pre-tax compensation to fund retiree healthcare. In addition, most employees are required to make a member contribution towards retirement, ranging from 7.5%-13.25% of compensation. For more information on these provisions, please contact the personnel office of the hiring agency.