5241 Engineer - Transportation
|Date Opened||1/16/2007 7:00:00 AM|
|Filing Deadline||3/5/2010 5:00:00 PM|
|Salary||$104,442.00 - $126,932.00/year|
|Job Type||Continuous CBT|
5241 Engineer - Transportation
Under general direction, performs difficult and responsible professional engineering work in the field and office and supervises engineering personnel, including consultants, engaged in such work. The essential functions of the Engineer class may vary depending on assignment and include: supervising professional and technical engineering personnel, consultants and other related staff engaged in a variety of engineering projects; assigning and reviewing work, analyzing workloads and budgets, and selecting, training, motivating, monitoring, evaluating and counseling staff; supervising and reviewing the preparation of documents; reviewing and analyzing bids for conformance with specifications and for award approval; negotiating and modifying contracts and resolving claims and disputes; supervising and monitoring the inspection of complex engineering projects and organizing and supervising the activities of field inspection staff; advising operating staff in water/wastewater treatment goals and process optimization; directing or participating in scientific research projects related to the study of water and/or wastewater treatments and their effects on the environment and other engineering functions; preparing and reviewing engineering designs, drawings and specifications; performing and reviewing difficult engineering calculations; reviewing federal, regional and local regulations and legislation affecting engineering work; analyzing and solving complex engineering and process related problems; writing, reviewing and approving departmental correspondence, reports and other related documents; and conducting meetings and making presentations to staff, committees, approval agencies, clients and the general public. May act as a project engineer or resident engineer for complex projects and perform other related duties as assigned.
1. Five (5) years verifiable professional transportation engineering work experience, which includes two (2) years experience equivalent to the City and County of San Francisco class 5207 Associate Engineer level as a licensed Professional Engineer or higher; AND
2. Current registration as a Professional Engineer in the State of
a. A Masters degree from an ABET accredited university in Transportation/Traffic Engineering may substitute for one (1) year of work experience.
b. A doctorate degree from an ABET accredited university in Transportation/Traffic Engineering may substitute for two (2) years of work experience.
How To Apply:
Applications for City and
- Click and select the desired job announcement
- Click on “Apply” and read and acknowledge the information
- Click on “I am a New User”
- Follow instructions given on the screen
If you have any questions regarding this recruitment or application process, please contact the exam analyst Titus Whitehead at (415) 557-4943.
Computer kiosks are located in the lobby of the Department of Human Resources,
Applications for this recruitment process are continuous (with periodic suspensions as needed).
Verification of Education/Experience/License/Certificate:
Verification of current
Please include a Document Cover Sheet to assist in identifying the class for which you are applying when submitting verification documents separate from the online application. The Cover Sheet may be found at http://www.jobaps.com/sf Select “Print a Document Cover Sheet” under “Choose a Help Topic”
Applicants may submit any required verifications by:
1. upload the documents through JobAps OR
2. scan the documents and send as an attachment to DHR-Engineer@sfgov.org OR
3. send the documents via
Department of Human Resources
1 South Van Ness, 4th Floor,
4. hand deliver the documents to the Department of Human Resources OR
5. fax the information to (415) 551-8935, ATTN: 5241 Engineer - Transportation
The Department of Human Resources will not be able to process the application and supplemental application without receiving the required verification documentation.
Training and Experience Evaluation:
Information provided by the candidates on the application, the supplemental application, and through verification of experience and licensure will be evaluated to determine the final score. This final score will be used to determine the rank of candidates on the eligible list.
Continuous recruitment/eligible list:
This is a continuous examination process. All eligible candidates are encouraged to apply as soon as possible. Candidates who meet the minimum qualifications and receive a passing evaluation of licensure and experience will have their names placed on the eligible lists in rank order.
In addition to the above selection procedure, departments may administer additional selection procedures to make final hiring decisions. The certification rule for the eligible list resulting from this examination will be Rule of Seven Scores.
1. Some positions may require additional special engineering licensing and/or work experience in areas such as Construction Management, Structural, Corrosion, Fire Protection, Geo-technical, Environmental, Control Systems, Industrial Engineering, Cost Estimating, and Project Controls.
2. Some positions may require possession of a certificate issued by the International Conference of Building Officials (ICBO), International Code Council (ICC) or an equivalent certifying body.
3. Additional specialty areas may be determined at a later time.
4. Most positions require a valid California Driver’s License.
5. There is NO substitution for the required two (2) years work experience equivalent to Class 5207 Associate Engineer as a licensed Professional Engineer.
6. Separate eligible lists will be established for different engineering specialties.
7. The score and rank of a candidate will be finalized when the list is adopted; the names of the new eligibles will be merged with existing eligibles on the Master list.
8. The eligibility period for successful candidates will be twelve (12) months.
9. Candidates who applied after January 17, 2007 may request an extension of eligibility as soon as their eligibility period expires. Eligibility extensions can be granted for an additional twelve (12) months. Scores and Ranks will remain the same. To request an eligibility extension, contact Titus Whitehead at: firstname.lastname@example.org Requests to extend eligibility will not be granted to candidates who applied to the recruitment prior to January 17, 2007.
10. Applicants are advised to keep a copy of all documents submitted. Hiring departments may require applicants to submit the same and/or additional documents at a later date.
11. All City and
Employment, Character and Background Investigation :
Prior to appointment in some departments, candidates being considered for hire may be required to complete a personal history statement and pass a background investigation to determine fitness for employment. The investigation is limited to job-relevant and legally mandated matters and may include a reference check, verification of employment history and education, military and financial history, fingerprinting, and criminal and motor vehicle records. All statements are subject to verification, and deliberate inaccuracies or incomplete statements may bar the candidate from employment.
Transportation Security Administration (TSA) Security Clearance :
Candidates for employment with the San Francisco Airport Commission whose job duties require unescorted Air Operations Area (AOA) access are required to provide a complete employment history for the past ten (10) years and an explanation of all gaps in employment during that period. The past ten (10) years of the candidate’s employment will be verified. In addition, candidates will be required to undergo a criminal history check, including FBI fingerprints, in order to determine eligibility for security clearance, and will be required to undergo drug/alcohol screening. Per Civil Service Commission Rule Section 110.9.1, every applicant for an examination must possess and maintain the qualifications required by law and by the examination announcement for the examination. Failure to obtain and maintain security clearance may be basis for termination from employment with the Airport Commission.
Qualified applicants with disabilities requiring reasonable accommodation for this process may contact the analyst by phone at (415) 557-4943 or, if hearing impaired, (415) 775-9484 (TDD), or in writing to the address listed above (specify Class 5241).
Director of Human Resources
Amended & Reissued: December 21, 2007 to reflect Extension Request Change
Announcement No.: PCS-5241-063364 Transportation
Amended & Reissued September 24, 2004
Announcement No.: 5241POOL
Issued: April 30, 2004
Announcement No.: 5241 POOL
Team: DHR 1/tlw (415) 557-4943