1043 IS Engineer-Senior
|Department||General Services Agency|
|Date Opened||5/10/2012 10:00:00 AM|
|Filing Deadline||9/5/2012 11:05:00 AM|
|Salary||$45.26 - $56.92/hour; $7,846.00 - $9,867.00/month; $94,146.00 - $118,404.00/year|
|Job Type||Permanent Exempt|
No. of position(s): One (1)
Work Location: Incumbent will conduct the majority of work at the Department of Technology site located at One South Van Ness; however, there may be situations where the incumbent will be required to work at other sites throughout the City of San Francisco.
Nature of Work: Candidate must be willing to work a 40-hour week as determined by the department. On-call on a rotational basis and occasional weekend is required.
Work Schedule: Monday – Friday from 8AM - 5PM
POSITION DESCRIPTION: The Department of Technology provides centralized database administration services for departments within the City and County of San Francisco. Reporting to a Database Manager, the Senior Database Administrator provides database application support, operational support, capacity planning, software installation, configuration, and maintenance, and performance tuning working within a team environment.
· Assist application staff with design and SQL tuning issues.
· Implement new database environments and modify existing environments as necessary.
· Install, configure, and support database software and tools.
· Monitor and analyze database performance.
· Plan and implement database backup and recovery procedures and backup schedules.
· Diagnose, analyze, and resolve problems.
· Develop, maintain, and implement database procedures, standards, and security practices.
· Assist in evaluating database productivity and development tools.
· Assist server administration staff with hardware and capacity planning.
· Evaluate, recommend, and implement database high availability and disaster recovery solutions.
· Function as lead on assignments; may supervise trainee and journey DBA staff.
· Provide 24x7 standby support on a rotational basis.
· Perform other duties as required.
Any combination of training and experience that could likely provide the required knowledge and abilities may be qualifying. A typical way to obtain this would be:
Experience: Two to three years of Journey IS Engineer or related professional Information Systems experience that demonstrates the knowledge and ability to perform the essential duties.
Training: A bachelor's degree, preferably in computer science, management information systems, data processing, electrical engineering, or a closely related field.
May involve extensive VDT exposure.
Additional desired certifications and/or experience:
Six years of experience in information systems technology, with at least three years as an Oracle and SQL Server database administrator. Experience with PostgreSQL and Peoplesoft database support is a plus.
· One (1) – two (2) years of experience journey level Unix
· One (1) – two (2) years of experience journey level Windows NT/2003/2008
· Two (2) – three (3) years of senior level Oracle and SQL Server experience
How To Apply
Applications for this City and County of San Francisco position will be accepted through an online process only. Mailed, hand delivered or faxed applications will not be accepted.
Visit http://www.jobaps.com/sf to begin the application process.
- Click and select 1043 IS Engineer Senior (PEX-1043-058959)
- Click on “Apply” and read and acknowledge the information
- Click on “I am a New User” if you have not previously registered, or on “I have REGISTERED PREVIOUSLY”
- Follow instructions given on the screen.
Upon successful submittal of the application online, you will receive a notification on the screen, as well as an e-mail, acknowledging the receipt of your application materials.
Computer kiosks are located in the lobby of the Department of Human Resources, 1 South Van Ness Avenue, 4th Floor, San Francisco. CA 94103. The hours of operation are from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., Monday through Friday.
Selection Procedure: Applications will be screened for relevant qualifying experience. Additional screening mechanisms may be implemented in order to determine candidates’ qualifications. Only those applicants who most closely meet the needs of the Agency will be invited to participate in the selection process. Applicants meeting the minimum qualifications are not guaranteed advancement to the interview.
Verification of Experience/Education: Verification of experience/education may be required at a later date. If verification is required, failure to provide it may result in disqualification from the selection process. Applicants who possess a degree that is from a foreign and/or non-accredited college or university may be required to provide an equivalency certification of the degree.
The application procedure is in compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act, if you need assistance to participate in this recruitment, contact Jacqueline Sanders (415) 581-3945, or in writing at Jacque.Sanders@sfgov.org. Notification in advance will enable the department and County to evaluate arrangements to reasonably accommodate your need.
THE CITY AND COUNTY OF SAN FRANCISCO IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER. MINORITIES, WOMEN AND PERSONS WITH DISABILITIES ARE ENCOURAGED TO APPLY
Disaster Service Workers
All employees hired on or after January 10, 2009 will be required (pursuant to San Francisco Charter Section A8.432) to contribute 2% of pre-tax compensation to fund retiree healthcare. In addition, most employees are required to make a member contribution towards retirement, typically a 7.5% of compensation. For more information on these provisions, please contact the personnel office of the hiring agency.