2230 Physician Specialist
|Date Opened||6/14/2013 8:00:00 AM|
|Filing Deadline||7/12/2013 5:00:00 PM|
|Salary||$63.48 - $92.03/hour|
|Job Type||Permanent Exempt|
CLASS 2230 PHYSICIAN SPECIALIST
APPOINTMENT TYPE: Permanent Exempt
The Department of Public Health’s Community Oriented Primary Care (COPC) is accepting applications for one (1) part-time (.6 FTE) position in class 2230 Physician Specialist.
LOCATION: Community Oriented Primary Care – Maxine Hall Health Center – Healthy San Francisco Unit
Maxine Hall Health Center is located in the Fillmore District 1301 Pierce Street, San Francisco, CA 94115 and serves the Fillmore, Western Addition, Lower Haight, Hayes Valley and Tenderloin. The Center serves a dynamic and diverse population which includes African American, Caucasian, Asian (Chinese, Korean, Mongolian, Filipino, Japanese) Latino, African and Russian patients. The Center provides 18,000 patient visits per year and through team-based medical, Behavioral Health, Social Work, Health Education and Nutrition services. We care for approximately 4,200 low income people. Our clinicians and health care teams are committed to decreasing health disparities through our primary care and population health services.
Shift: Mondays – Fridays, 8am-5pm, and may include weekend and evening hours
Under the general direction of the Medical Director, the Physician Specialist performs the following essential job functions:
· Provides primary medical care to adult and pediatric patients with acute and chronic medical problems. This includes obtaining medical history, performing physician examinations, ordering and interpreting diagnostic tests, initiating and monitoring treatments, and counseling patients on their medical condition and on preventive health maintenance practices in accordance with established procedures and protocols;
· Documents all patient care in the electronic health record
· Participates in the Quality Improvement and Assurance activities of Maxine Hall Health Center;
· Works effectively as part of a multidisciplinary team with San Francisco General Hospital and other community resources and agencies to coordinate care for patients;
· Participates in staff meetings and in-service activities of Maxine Hall Health Center and the Community Primary Care Service of SFGH;
· Participates in the Community Primary Care On-Call group;
· Participates in education and clinical supervision of other staff members including Family Nurse Practitioners, Nurses, Medical Assistants and Health Workers, as well as UCSF medical students and residents who may rotate through Maxine Hall Health Center;
· Performs limited administrative responsibilities as assigned by the Medical Director; and
· Performs other related duties as assigned/required.
1. Graduation from an approved medical school and possession of a Doctor of Medicine or Doctor of Osteopathy degree; AND
2. Completion of a recognized residency program in Family Medicine or Internal Medicine; AND
3. Possession of a license to practice medicine issued by the California Medical Board; AND
4. Board Certification or Board Eligibility in Family Medicine or Internal Medicine; AND
5. Possession of a Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA) license.
All qualified candidates who have been selected for appointment to positions in all specialty areas must be an eligible billable provider and will be required to meet the following criteria:
· Be eligible to participate in Medicare, Medicaid and/or other federal health care programs;
· Possess a National Provider Identifier (NPI);
· Submit a completed credentialing application and/or required documentation for credentialing; AND
· Possess a valid third-party billable provider certification (such as Medicare, Medi-Cal and/or private insurance) OR have submitted a completed billable provider application, along with the required documentation, in order to obtain the appropriate billable provider status.
Failure to meet these criteria and/or ‘Conditions of Employment’ within two (2) weeks PRIOR to start work date may result in the delay of appointment and/or cancellation of employment offer. Once appointed, all qualified candidates/employees will be required to retain these qualifications throughout length of employment. Failure to demonstrate (show proof) of qualifications shall result in the termination of employment.
· At least 1 year practicing in an outpatient setting in the past 2 years.
· Two (2) years of experience in a community based or outpatient clinic providing service to the medically underserved in a multicultural environment.
· Desire to work with low income and multicultural clients, who have multiple chronic medical and social problems.
· Interest in community oriented primary care, managed care, quality improvement projects, teaching, and willingness to collaborate with other health professions and social service personnel.
· Proficiency in Spanish, Cantonese, Mandarin, Korean or Russian.
City and County of San Francisco employment applications are only accepted online. Click the “Apply” button to begin the application process. Choose “I am a New User” if you have not previously registered, or “I have Registered Previously”. Follow the instructions on the screen.
If you have any questions regarding this specific vacancy, please contact
Catherine James, M.D., Medical Director
Via email at Catherine.James@sfdph.org or phone at 415-292-1356
Computer kiosks are located in the lobby of the Department of Human Resources,
Applicants may be contacted by email about this announcement, and, therefore, it is their responsibility to ensure that their registered email address is accurate and kept up-to-date. Also, applicants must ensure that email from CCSF is not blocked on their computer by a spam filter. To prevent blocking, applicants should set up their email to accept CCSF mail from the following addresses. (@sfgov.org, @sfdpw.org, @sfport.com, @flysfo.com, @sfwater.org, @sfdph.org, @asianart.org, @sfmta.com)
Applicants will receive a confirmation email that their online application has been received in response to every announcement for which they file. Applicants should retain this confirmation email for their records. Failure to receive this email means that the online application was not submitted or received.
All work experience, education, training and other information substantiating how you meet the minimum qualifications must be included on your application by the filing deadline. Information submitted after the filing deadline will not be considered in determining whether you meet the minimum qualifications.
Applications completed improperly may be cause for ineligibility, disqualification may lead to lower scores.
VERIFICATION OF EXPERIENCE/CERTIFICATE:
Applicants may be required to submit verification of qualifying experience and proof of certifications at any point during this recruitment and selection process. If requested, verification of experience needed to qualify must be submitted on the employer’s letterhead and indicate the name of the applicant, job title, dates of employment, hours/week, and duties performed and must be signed by the supervisor and/or appropriate company representative.
City employees do not need to submit verification of qualifying City work experience if experience gained is from the class to which appointed. Credit for experience obtained outside of the employee’s class will only be allowed if recorded in accordance with the provisions of Civil Service Rules. City employees relying upon qualifying work experience gained outside of the City and
Verification of the required experience may be waived if impossible to obtain. However, the applicant must immediately request a waiver of verification of qualifying education/training and/or experience by submitting a signed statement with the application explaining why verification is unattainable. Please note, requests for waiver of verification of qualifying experience will be considered on a case-by-case basis. Failure to submit the required verification of experience or request for waiver of verification may result in rejection of the application.
The selection process will include an evaluation of applications in relation to minimum requirements. Depending on the number of applicants, the Department may establish and implement additional screening mechanisms to comparatively evaluate qualifications of candidates. If this becomes necessary, only those applicants whose qualifications most closely meet the needs of the Department will be invited for an interview.
1. Applicants are encouraged to keep copies of all documents submitted. The hiring department may require applicants to submit the same documents and/or additional documents at a later date.
2. Prior to appointment, at the Department’s expense, applicants may be required to take a TB screening test, and a medical examination.
3. Remember to indicate: Attn: Class 2230 Physician Specialist on all correspondence.
Human Resources Director
Department of Human Resources
Issued: June 14, 2013
Announcement No.: PEX-2230- 060387
Team DPH/LL (415) 206-5417 (DHR Pos No 01124286)
Disaster Service Workers
All employees hired on or after January 10, 2009 will be required (pursuant to San Francisco Charter Section A8.432) to contribute 2% of pre-tax compensation to fund retiree healthcare. In addition, most employees are required to make a member contribution towards retirement, typically 7.5% of compensation. For more information on these provisions, please contact the personnel office of the hiring agency.