2320 Registered Nurse - Critical Care
Amended to show Part Time
|Date Opened||6/28/2013 8:00:00 AM|
|Filing Deadline||7/5/2013 5:00:00 PM|
|Salary||$104,390.00 - $137,150.00/year|
|Job Type||Continuous CBT|
2320 Registered Nurse
CRITICAL CARE NURSING
TYPE OF APPOINTMENT: Current Permanent Civil Service employees in Class 2320 Registered Nurse are encouraged to apply.
San Francisco General Hospital’s PACU (Post Anesthesia Care Unit) is accepting applications for one (1) full-time position in class 2320 Registered Nurse [Critical Care Nursing].
The PACU is a 12-bed unit which is part of a larger perioperative complex on the third floor of San Francisco General Hospital. The PACU is responsible for providing specialized post anesthesia care to those patients who have undergone anesthesia either in the operating room or other parts of the hospital. The unit also cares for the critically ill patients in the event of overflow from the critical care units.
PATIENT/CLIENT POPULATION: adults and pediatrics
Under general supervision, the Registered Nurse performs professional nursing duties. Essential duties include:
· Providing nursing care to acutely or critically ill patients within an assigned unit or clinic;
· Implementing medical care plans;
· Directing and supervising the patient care provided by nursing personnel assigned to the unit;
· Maintaining standard unit activities in the absence of the Head Nurse;
· Performing other related duties as assigned/required.
Specialty C: Critical Care Nursing
1. Possession of a valid permanent/temporary (including interim permit) California Registered Nurse License; AND
2A. One (1) year of verifiable experience (equivalent to 2,000 hours) within the last three (3) years as a Registered Nurse in:
a. an Adult Medical/Surgical ICU with at least six (6) beds; OR
b. an acute care PACU hospital setting with ICU patients
· Current ACLS
· Current PALS
· Computer knowledge/skills or willingness to learn
The stated desirable qualifications may be considered at the end of the selection process when candidates are referred for hiring.
Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation (CPR) Certificate Requirement / Provision:
Possession of a valid Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation (CPR) Certificate issued by the American Heart Association is required as a provision to employment for all positions. Eligibles who do not possess such a certification may participate in this examination process and be appointed to a position(s), but will be required to obtain the certificate within two (2) weeks of hire date and maintain validity throughout length of employment. A photocopy of the valid Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation (CPR) Certificate must be provided to the appropriate supervisor of the appointment within the allotted time frame. Failure to demonstrate/show proof of possession of valid certification within two (2) weeks of hire date and throughout length of employment may result in dismissal and/or termination of employment.
Applications for City and County of San Francisco jobs are being accepted through an online process. Visit www.jobaps.com/sf to register an account (if you have not already done so) and begin the application process.
- Select the desired job announcement
- Select “Apply” and read and acknowledge the information
- Select either “I am a New User” if you have not previously registered, or “I have Registered Previously”
- Follow instructions on the screen
Computers are available for the public (from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Monday through Friday) to file online applications in the lobby of the Dept. of Human Resources at 1 South Van Ness Avenue, 4th Floor, San Francisco.
Applicants may be contacted by email about this announcement and, therefore, it is their responsibility to ensure that their registered email address is accurate and kept up-to-date. Also, applicants must ensure that email from CCSF is not blocked on their computer by a spam filter. To prevent blocking, applicants should set up their email to accept CCSF mail from the following addresses (@sfgov.org, @sfdpw.org, @sfport.com, @flysfo.com, @sfwater.org, @sfdph.org, @asianart.org, @sfmta.com, @sfpl.org).
Applicants will receive a confirmation email that their online application has been received in response to every announcement for which they file. Applicants should retain this confirmation email for their records. Failure to receive this email means that the online application was not submitted or received.
All work experience, education, training and other information substantiating how you meet the minimum qualifications must be included on your application by the filing deadline. Information submitted after the filing deadline will not be considered in determining whether you meet the minimum qualifications.
Applications completed improperly may be cause for ineligibility, disqualification or may lead to lower scores.
If you have questions regarding this vacancy, please contact:
Gerard Padilla, Interim Nurse Manager
via email at Gerard.Padilla@sfdph.org or via phone at 415-206-8123
All applicants must be able to produce a copy of required licenses, certifications and/or preceptorship when requested throughout the application/examination process. Failure to provide verification(s) may result in rejection of application and removal from the examination process.
Experience: All applicants must be able to produce employment verification(s) if requested throughout the application/examination process. Failure to present documentation may result in rejection of application and removal from the examination process.
Verification of all experience needed to qualify if requested must be on the employer's letterhead indicating the name of the applicant, job title, dates of employment, hours per week, duties performed and must be signed by the supervisor and/or appropriate representative. City employees do not need to submit verification of qualifying City work experience if experience gained is from the class to which appointed. Credit for experience obtained outside of the employee's class will only be allowed if recorded in accordance with the provisions of Civil Service Commission Rules. City employees relying upon qualifying work experience gained outside the City and
Note: Falsifying one’s education, training, or work experience or attempted deception on the application may result in disqualification for this and future job opportunities with the City and County of San Francisco.
Drug Calculation Test/Written Exam: Candidates will be expected to pass a drug calculation test and/or a written exercise, depending on the specialty area, to continue in the examination process. WEIGHT: Pass/Fail
Oral Examination: Candidates will be interviewed to determine their relative knowledge, ability and skill level in one or more of the following job related areas as appropriate. These areas may include, but not be limited to: knowledge of physiology and disease process; knowledge of current psychotropic and other medications; knowledge of standard of care; knowledge of multi-disciplinary team approach to patient care; ability to make and document nursing assessments; knowledge of principles of nursing care plans; ability to perform emergency nursing skills; ability to communicate; and knowledge of leadership principles. WEIGHT: 100%
The Certification Rule for this selection procedure will be Rule of Three Scores.
1. The number of persons to be placed on an eligible list will be determined by the needs of the department(s); therefore applicants who receive passing scores are not guaranteed placement on the eligible list.
2. Departments may utilize additional selection procedures to make final hiring decisions.
3. No waivers of employment offers will be allowed.
4. If appointed, eligibles possessing interim permits or temporary licenses must present full and unrestricted California Registered Nurse licenses prior to completion of the probationary period.
5. Valid licensure must be kept current throughout length of employment. Failure to demonstrate/show proof of possession of required valid licensure may result in dismissal and/or termination of employment.
6. Information regarding California Registered Nurse (RN) licenses may be obtained from the California Board of Registered Nursing, 400 R Street, Suite 4030, P.O. Box 944210, Sacramento, CA 94244-2100, telephone: (916) 322-3350. Web address: http://www.rn.ca.gov/
7. Some positions may require bilingual fluency in a variety of languages depending upon the department’s needs. Only those eligibles who pass the bilingual proficiency test will be considered for these positions. Applicants must indicate the language(s) in which they claim proficiency on the application.
8. Applicants with disabilities who meet the minimum eligibility requirements for this job announcement can find information on requesting a reasonable ADA Accommodation at:
9. Important Employment Information for the City and County of San Francisco can be obtained at http://www.sfdhr.org/, or hard copy at 1 South Van Ness Avenue, 4th Floor.
10. Terms of Announcement:
Applicants must be guided solely by the provisions of this announcement, including requirements, time periods and other particulars, except when superseded by federal, state or local laws, rules or regulations. Clerical errors may be corrected by the posting the correction on the Department of Human Resources website at www.jobaps.com/sf.
11. Information regarding requests for Veterans Preference can be found at:
12. Prior to appointment, some positions require that candidates complete a personal history statement and pass a thorough background investigation to determine the candidate’s suitability for employment. The investigation is limited to job-relevant and legally mandated matters, and may include a reference check, verification of employment history and education, military and financial history, fingerprinting, and criminal and motor vehicle records. Some positions require that candidates undergo drug/alcohol screening. Failure to obtain and maintain security clearance may be basis for termination from employment. In addition, prior to appointment, at the department's expense, applicants may be required to take a TB Screening Test and/or a medical examination.
13. Make sure your application and any attachments to the application submitted at the time of filing are complete and accurate and include details on all experience, education, training and other information that qualifies you for this recruitment. Failure to submit a complete and accurate application at the time of filing may result in your ineligibility for this recruitment or inability to receive full credit for scoring purposes. Any new information concerning work experience, education, training and other information that is submitted after the filing deadline may not be used for scoring or considered to determine whether you meet the minimum qualifications.
The Department of Public Health is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Women, Minorities, and Persons with Disabilities are encouraged to apply
ISSUED: March 22, 2013
RECRUITMENT NO. CCT-2320-PH1067
DPH/LL 415-206-5417 (PC 2490)
Disaster Service Workers
All employees hired on or after January 10, 2009 will be required (pursuant to San Francisco Charter Section A8.432) to contribute 2% of pre-tax compensation to fund retiree healthcare. In addition, most employees are required to make a member contribution towards retirement, typically 7.5% of compensation. For more information on these provisions, please contact the personnel office of the hiring agency.