According to Civil Service Commission Rule 9, the duties specified below are representative of the range of duties assigned to this job code and are not intended to be an inclusive list.
1. Transcribes various reports such as court documents, background investigations, legal, medical and psychiatric reports or statistical reports by listening to dictated material on voice writer equipment or dictaphone tapes, and typing material using an electric or memory typewriter, word processor or DEC computer equipment in order to produce a printed document.
2. Types material from hand written document by using electric or memory typewriter, word processor or DEC computer; recognizes and uses proofreader marks in order to produce an accurate and legible document.
3. Operates digital dictation system, personal computers, word processing programs and electric or memory typewriter to produce various reports and data; performs complex word processing activities involving text editing, merging and the use of specialized fields.
4. Programs new material by keying data or sorting instructions onto a diskette or other memory component in order to have a permanent record of retrievable information.
5. Maintains a filing system by retrieving, deleting and updating material in order that the data will be kept accessible and current.
6. Proofreads typed material to ensure correct spelling, punctuation and grammar.
7. Interfaces with social workers, office managers, probation officers, physicians and other personnel to obtain or verify information about assigned material and to handle problems via telephone and in person; interfaces with co-workers in order to work harmoniously as a team.
8. Performs related duties and responsibilities as assigned.