DIRECTOR, INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY DIVISION (ASST STATE COMPT VII)
COMPTROLLER OF MARYLAND
|Date Opened||9/27/2013 12:01:00 AM|
|Filing Deadline||10/18/2013 11:59:00 PM|
|Salary||$94,493.00 - $126,183.00/year - DBM Salary guidelines may apply for current State employees.|
|HR Analyst||Gwendolyn Schindler|
THIS IS AN EXECUTIVE SERVICE POSITION OPEN TO ALL QUALIFIED CANDIDATES. THE SELECTED CANDIDATE WILL SERVE AT THE PLEASURE OF THE APPOINTING AUTHORITY.
LOCATION OF POSITION
108 Carroll Street, Annapolis, Maryland
The Comptroller of Maryland is seeking a highly motivated and talented individual with strong management skills to serve as the Director of the Information Technology Division (ITD) to lead the Comptroller's current and future information technology initiatives. The Director, ITD serves as the primary advisor to the Comptroller of Maryland and 24 Register of Wills offices throughout the State of Maryland with respect to all aspects of information technology and telecommunications, including acquisition, development and/or implementation. Duties also include operations oversight for the largest data center in Maryland State Government, the Annapolis Data Center (ADC), which provides mainframe processing for many State agencies as well as for the Comptroller. The ADC operates 24 hours a day, 364 days a year. The Director, ITD is responsible for the following essential functions (not all inclusive):
- Security of systems, networks and data in compliance with agency, State and federal regulations including security strategies, architectures, policies, technology deployments, operations and incident management
- Delivery of information technology services for the Comptroller of Maryland, including services for office systems, mainframe applications, internet and email services, and voice and data communication systems
- Operation of the ADC, including mainframe batch processing, online processing, data storage, database support, network access to other networks, disaster recovery and high volume computer print services
- Oversight of the Local Area Network support and applications support to the 24 Register of Wills offices
- Formulation, review and recommendation regarding information technology policy, procedures, rules and regulations to promote cost-efficient and effective use of information technology
- Serving as the staff advisor to the Comptroller and Deputy Comptroller concerning all information technology matters
- Providing daily consultation to IT management staff at other State agencies and to the Comptroller Division Directors and their support staff regarding information technology solutions
- Ability to develop and implement an organization-wide technology vision that aligns the Comptroller's information technology and telecommunications strategies with the agency's strategic direction
- A change agent with a full understanding of the change process
- A strong focus on retention of key IT personnel
- A proactive leader who is able to be innovative while accurately assessing and guarding the State's risk
- A collaborator who can drive towards consensus while valuing the contributions from stakeholders, colleagues and subordinates
- Ability to explain, advocate, educate and express technical information in an understanding and convincing manner to both technical and non-technical people at all levels, including the Maryland General Assembly
- The highest level of integrity and ability to build trusting relationships and base decisions on moral, ethical and legal standards
- A positive and optimistic outlook to employees, citizens and other State and private sector representatives
- Dedicated to professional competence, ideally with professional certification(s) such as CIE, PMI, CISM, CISA, etc.
- Demonstrated knowledge of and broad-based successful experience in managing complex IT and telecommunications services and projects in the public or private sector
- Expertise with large-scale organizations of either the public or private sector
- Demonstrated working knowledge of project management processes and tools
- Familiarity with a Systems Design Life Cycle (SDLC) approach to information technology projects and/or implementations
MINIMUM EDUCATION OR GENERAL REQUIREMENTS
Bachelor’s degree from an accredited four-year college or university with a degree in information technology, management information systems, computer science, business or public administration, or a closely related field
Ten years of progressively responsible experience managing a complex technology program, including elements of data center operations, and development and support of mainframe systems, distributed and mobile systems, telecommunications, data warehousing and business/data analytics
Two years of relevant experience in acquiring, developing, implementing and/or supporting web, mobile and social network services and applications
TO APPLY: For immediate consideration, please submit a cover letter with your salary requirements, your resume, an unofficial copy of your transcripts, and any other supporting documents. The preferred method for submitting additional information is to upload it directly into your online account. Please remove references to the first 5 digits of your SSN and your DOB on all attachments by deleting, redacting or blacking that information out with a marker. Alternatively, you may email your application packet to firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you have any questions, please feel free to contact Gwen Schindler at (410) 260-6622.
Appropriate accommodations for individuals with disabilities are available upon request by calling: (410) 260-6622 or MD TTY Relay Service 1-800-735-2258.
As an equal opportunity employer Maryland is committed to recruiting, retaining and promoting employees who are reflective of the State’s diversity.