DJS YOUTH RECREATION SPECIALIST I
|Date Opened||2/27/2013 10:33:00 AM|
|Filing Deadline||3/13/2013 11:59:00 PM|
|Salary||$35,484.00 - $48,369.00/year|
|HR Analyst||Linda Padgett|
LOCATION OF POSITION
Main Purpose of Job
A DJS Youth Recreation Specialist I is the intermediate level of work supervising recreational programs for youth that have been detained or placed in a facility operated by the Department of Juvenile Services
The DJS Youth Recreation Specialist I position is responsible for the order, care and safety of youth. The DJS Youth Recreation Specialist I position is responsible for developing and implementing a variety of recreational experiences designed to help participants develop a better awareness of personal care, health, fitness and general self-esteem.
MINIMUM EDUCATION OR GENERAL REQUIREMENTS
Education: High School diploma or G.E.D. certificate acceptable to the Maryland State Board of Education as described in the Correctional Training Commission regulation.
Experience: One year of experience supervising the recreational activities of children or youth in a recreation center, fitness center or school setting.
Notes: 1. The above educational requirement is set by the Maryland Correctional Training Commission in accordance with the Correctional Services Article, Section 8-209.
2. Candidates may substitute an Associates of Arts degree from an accredited college or university in a recreational program such as Parks, Recreation and Leisure Studies; Sports and Fitness Administration or Health and Physical Education or 60 credit hours with 30 credits in the required areas for the required experience.
LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS AND CERTIFICATIONS
1. Employees in this classification must complete and successfully pass the Entrance Level Correctional Training Course for DJS support staff required for the Maryland Correctional Training Commission certificate during the probationary period.
2. Employees in this classification may be assigned duties which require the operation of a motor vehicle. Employees assigned such duties will be required to possess a motor vehicle operator’s license valid in the State of Maryland.
1. In accordance with the Correctional Services Article of the Maryland Annotated Code, Section 8-209, the Maryland Correctional Training Commission shall establish the minimum qualifications for probationary or permanent appointment of a Department of Juvenile Services employee. These requirements are listed in detail in the Code of Maryland Regulations 12.10.01.04, general regulations of the Maryland Correctional Training Commission, and include: U.S. Citizenship or Resident Alien status; must be at least 21 years of age; a thorough background check, including fingerprinting and drug testing; an oral interview; and physical and psychological examinations.
2. Employees in this classification may be subject to call-in and, therefore, may be required to provide the employing agency with a telephone number where the employee can be reached.
3. Employees in this classification are subject to substance abuse testing in accordance with Code of Maryland Regulation 17.04.09 – Testing for Illegal Use of Drugs.
BARGAINING UNIT STATUS
Department of Juvenile Services
Recruitment & Examination Unit
One Center Plaza
120 West Fayette Street
Baltimore, MD 21201
Fax #: 410/333-4188