Incumbents in this class are responsible for providing support to an administrative or technical superior by: providing office coordination and managing workflow; supervising the office support staff; and directing a wide variety of support services, e.g. fleet management, records management, etc.
Essential functions are fundamental, core functions common to all positions in the class series and are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all job duties for any one position in the class. Since class specifications are descriptive and not restrictive, incumbents can complete job duties of similar kind not specifically listed here.
Analyzes and makes recommendations regarding operating practices and procedures to include personnel, workflow, cost reduction recordkeeping, performance standards, equipment and supply utilization, to ensure smooth and efficient office operation. Implements new and revised procedures.
Supervises, directly or through subordinate lead personnel, the agencies support staff; interviews job applicants and makes hiring recommendations; trains new employees; plans, assigns, and evaluates the work of subordinates; counsels and disciplines subordinate employees.
Directs support services which include most of the following: fleet management, forms/records management, facilities management, inventory, contracting and purchasing, equipment maintenance and repair, mail distribution and messenger services, office typing support and telephone coverage.
May act as principal assistant to the superior in a variety of operational areas which may include: disseminating directives, preparing required reports, assisting in budget preparation and development by maintaining records and/or compiling data; performing special projects studies including needs assessments; obtaining, organizing and drafting administrative material for public information or office use; acting as liaison with vendors, state/federal representative, the public, etc.
JOB REQUIREMENTS for Office Manager
Applicants must have education, training and/or experience demonstrating competence in each of the following areas:
- Three years experience in coordinating administrative operations or functions such as coordinating organizational operations or components of functional programs, tracking workflow and resolving problems, providing guidance and consultation to management, customers and others on administrative matters.
- Six months experience in data collection which includes collecting, compiling and maintaining data from multiple sources such as files, records, databases, customers, staff or others.
- Six months experience in creating reports which includes combining and presenting data from multiple sources in an organized format.
- Six months experience in using standard computer software programs for word processing, spreadsheets or databases.
- Knowledge of staff supervision which includes planning, assigning, reviewing, and evaluating the work of others.
Conditions of Hire
Criminal background check: A satisfactory criminal background check is required as a condition of hire. The recruiting agency may require the applicant to pay for the criminal background check as part of the conditional offer of hire.
The application is evaluated based upon a rating of training and experience.
Once you have submitted your application on-line, all future correspondence related to your application will be sent via email. Please keep your contact information current. You may also view all correspondence sent to you by the State of Delaware in the “My Applications” tab at www.delawarestatejobs.com.
Accommodations are available for applicants with disabilities in all phases of the application and employment process. To request an auxiliary aid or service please call (302) 739-5458. TDD users should call the Delaware Relay Service Number 1-800-232-5460 for assistance. The State of Delaware – An Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer.