Information Systems Specialist
|Date Opened||8/28/2013 5:00:00 PM|
|Filing Deadline||9/9/2013 5:00:00 PM|
|Salary||$27.68 - $37.08/hour; $57,574.40 - $77,126.40/year|
Permanent Full-Time Employment
|HR Analyst||Michi Yoshii|
THIS IS A REOPENING OF AN EXISTING EXAMINATION. The scores and dispositions of candidates for this examination will be merged with previous exam participants. If you are currently on the list and you choose to reapply you will forfeit your current rank and score. Your new score/disposition will replace your current score and rank. In order to do this please contact the examination analyst to have your previous application released back to you. This list may be canceled at any time without notice to candidates. Please contact human resources if you would like additional information.
A properly completed application must be submitted. Applications and Supplemental Questionnaires must be in the possession of the Human Resource Services Department by 5:00 p.m. on the Last Day for Filing. Postmarks and faxes are not accepted. Failure to complete the application will result in disqualification. Applications will only be accepted on-line.
The following departments/agencies currently have openings for this classification, however the eligible list for this classification can be used by any County department or agency needing to fill a vacancy:
The Sheriff's Department
The Alameda County Sheriff's Office is a full-service law enforcement agency accredited through the Commission on Accreditation for Law Enforcement Agencies (CALEA) and the American Correctional Association (ACA). Additionally, the agency's health care provider, Prison Health Services, has dual accreditation through the National Commission on Correctional Health Care (NCCHC) and the California Medical Association (CMA). Together these form what is referred to as the "Triple Crown" of accreditation (ACA, NCCHC/CMA and CALEA) awarded by the National Sheriff's Association. Additionally, the Sheriff's Office Crime Lab is nationally accredited by the American Society of Crime Laboratory Directors (ASCLD). The Sheriff's Office Explosive Ordinance Disposal Unit has also been awarded national accreditation through the Bomb Squad Commanders Advisory Board.
The Sheriff's Office has a current adjusted net budget of approximately $185.7 million and has over 1500 authorized positions, including in excess of 1000 sworn personnel. The agency's Chief Executive Officer is Sheriff Gregory J. Ahern, who is assisted in the operation of the agency by Undersheriff Richard T. Lucia, Assistant Sheriff's Brett Keteles and Casey Nice.
The Sheriff of Alameda County is responsible for a vast array of tasks and duties, including the following:
- Providing security to the Consolidated Superior Courts
- Operating the Coroner's Bureau
- Operating a full service criminalistics laboratory
- Performing Civil Process
- Operating a County Jail (Santa Rita)
- Operating the County Office of Emergency Services
- Providing patrol and investigative services to the unincorporated areas of Alameda County
- Pursuant to contractual agreements, providing patrol and investigative services to the City of Dublin, Peralta
- Community College District, Oakland-Alameda County Coliseum complex, Oakland International Airport,
- Highland County Hospital, Social Services, and to the Alameda-Contra Costa Transit District
- Conducting a basic academy pursuant to Police Officer Standards and Training (P.O.S.T.) requirements.
- Providing Fish and Game enforcement
- Project Director of the Narcotics Task Force
- Serving as the Executive Director of the Sexual Assault Felony Enforcement (SAFE) Task Force
- Operating a Marine Patrol Unit in the San Francisco Bay waters.
For additional information, you may visit the Sheriff's Office website at: http://www.alamedacountysheriff.org/
Information Technology Department
The Information Technology Department provides services to County Departments to aid in the effective delivery of IT services that support the business needs of the county. County Information Technology is a vital part of the organization, providing faster and better ways for our employees to do their jobs and for our residents to access our services. We continue to keep our technology current and to work with members and management of all departments to provide the computing capabilities that are needed.
- Application Services
- Infrastructure and Technical Services
- Data Center Services
For additional information, you may visit the IT department's website at: http://www.acgov.org/itd/
Under general supervision, assists in planning, configuring, installing, troubleshooting and supporting agency/departmental Local Area Networks (LANs), Wide Area Networks (WANs) and other computer systems and related equipment; provides consultation to departmental support staff and management on hardware and software issues; and performs related duties as required.
This is the journey-level class in a series that includes this class and that of Technology Support Analyst. Incumbents in this class provide support for department computer users and management in three areas: network/system administration, database administration and web design/development.
Positions in the Information Systems Specialist – Technical Support Analyst series possess broad information technology knowledge and are capable of performing most information technology activities within their department. Positions in the Information Systems Specialist class are distinguished from the next higher class of Technical Support Analyst in that incumbents of the latter class have broad operational responsibility for a major departmental computer program or activity and may have lead responsibility with respect to Information Systems Specialist positions. The classes in the Information Systems Specialist – Technical Support Analyst series are not flexibly staffed.
The Information Systems Specialist class is further distinguished from the next-lower class of Information Systems Technician II in that incumbents in the latter class perform routine maintenance, installation and troubleshooting of departmental computer systems.
Positions in the Information Systems Specialist – Technical Support Analyst series differ from the more specialized Information Systems Analyst class in that the latter works primarily on complex information systems design and administration activities such as software systems analysis, design, and coding.
Positions in the Information Systems Specialist – Technical Support Analyst series differ from the more specialized Information Network Analyst class in that the latter works primarily on complex network design and administration activities such as designing, configuring, and installing a department’s network infrastructure.
THE IDEAL CANDIDATE
In addition to meeting the minimum qualifications stated below, the candidate will have demonstrated a track record in success in the following areas:
• Achieving a satisfactory level of technical and professional skill or knowledge in position related areas
(Experience with Legacy Content Management system/database; Web Design/Development; Database
Development; Data Warehousing and Business Intelligence Reporting systems is highly desirable.)
• Working effectively and cooperatively with others
• Identifying issues, problems, and opportunities
• Monitoring the results of delegations, assignments or projects
• Establish courses of action for self and others to ensure that work is completed efficiently
• Accomplishing task by considering all areas involved
NOTE: The Civil Service Commission may modify the above Minimum Qualifications in the announcement of an examination.
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS
• Modern computer technology to develop, administer and maintain computers and network systems.
• Information technology concepts.
• Methodologies for analyzing systems, procedures and workflow.
• Office software applications.
• Functions and capabilities of database systems.
• World Wide Web technology.
• Network infrastructure technology.
• Function as system administrator.
• Maintain existing office software applications.
• Make effective decisions.
• Plan and organize.
• Identify and correct problems with computers and related equipment.
• Analyze problems related to database design, system interactions and cross platform issues.
• Prepare and maintain documentation, records and logs.
• Communicate effectively both orally and in writing.
Alameda County utilizes a Civil Service Selection System founded on merit. Such a system is competitive and based on broad recruitment efforts and equal opportunity for qualified applicants to test in an examination process designed to determine the qualifications, fitness and ability of competitors to perform duties of the vacant position. Many of our recruitments are targeted and specific to the needs of a current vacant position, in which case, the eligible list may be exclusively used for that current vacant position. Other recruitments many be more broadly used for both current and future vacancies, or for other alternate jobs with comparable scopes of work.
To learn more about our recruitment and selection process, please visit the “What You Need to Know” section of our website, www.acgov.org/hrs.
We reserve the right to make changes to the announced selection process.
Applicants will be informed via email with reasonable notice in advance of any examination process which will require their attendance. The following dates are tentative and subject to change based on the needs of the Agency:
TENTATIVE SELECTION PLAN:
Deadline for Filing:
Review of Minimum Qualifications:
Review for Best Qualified Completed By:
Oral Interviews Exam:
*Type of Exam: Re-open Continuous Exam
5:00 pm, Monday, September 9th, 2013
September 13th, 2013
September 18th, 2013
Scheduled for week of October 7th, 2013
To be determined
Alameda County offers a comprehensive and competitive benefits package that affords wide-ranging health care options to meet the different needs of a diverse workforce and their families. We also sponsor many different employee discount, fitness and health screening programs focused on overall well being. These benefits include but are not limited to*:
For your Health & Welfare Benefits
- Medical – HMO & PPO Insurance
- Dental – PPO & DHMO Insurance
- Basic Life Insurance
- Supplemental Life Insurance (with optional dependent coverage)
- County Allowance
- Health Flexible Spending Account
- Dependent Care Flexible Spending Account
- Accident, Critical Illness & Hospital Indemnity
- Long Term Care Insurance
- Employee Assistance Program
For your Financial Future
- Short-term Disability Insurance
- Long-Term Disability Insurance
- Retirement Plan – (Defined Benefit Pension Plan)
- Deferred Compensation Plan
For your Work/Life Balance
- 11 paid holidays
- Vacation and sick leave accrual
- Vacation purchase program
- Management Paid Leave**
- Group Auto/Home
- Commuter Benefits Program
- Guaranteed Ride Home
- Employee Wellness Program (e.g. At Work Fitness, Incentive Based Programs, Gym Membership Discounts)
- Employee Discount Program (e.g. theme parks, cell phone, etc.)
- Child Care Resources
- 1st United Services Credit Union
*Eligibility is determined by Alameda County and offerings may vary by collective bargaining agreement. This provides a brief summary of the benefits offered and can be subject to change.
**Non-exempt management employees are entitled to up to three days of management paid leave. Exempt management employees are entitled to up to seven days of management paid leave.
All notices related to County recruitments for which you have applied will be sent/delivered via email. Please add @acgov.org and alamedacountyHR@acgov.org as accepted addresses to any email blocking or spam filtering program you may use. If you do not do this, your email blocking or spam filtering program may block receipt of the notices regarding your application for recruitments. You are also strongly advised to regularly log into your County of Alameda online application account to check for notices that may have been sent to you. All email notices that will be sent to you will also be kept in your personal online application account. You will be able to view all of your notices in your online application account by clicking on the "My applications" button on the Current Job Openings page.
Please take the steps recommended above to insure you do not miss any notices about a recruitment for which you have applied. The County of Alameda is not responsible for notices that are not read, received or accessed by any applicant for a County recruitment.
NOTE: All notices are generated through an automated email notification system. Replies to the email box alamedacountyHR@acgov.org are routed to an unmonitored mailbox. All notices are generated through an automated email notification system. Replies to the email box are routed to an unmonitored mailbox. If you have questions please go to our website at www.acgov.org/hrs. You may also contact the Human Resources Analyst listed on the job announcement for the recruitment for which you have applied.
Human Resources Analyst I
Human Resource Services, County of Alameda